Aubergine is one of my favorite family vegetable.There is an old saying in my country that aubergine has no benefits at all (”Bgune nei kono goon”).But according to scientists aubergine has the good source of dietary fiber,also a very good source of B1,B6, and potassium.In India, aubergine curry is one of the delicacies for vegetarian people.In family gatherings, it is one of the popular dishe.It is easy to cook and delicious too.Another popular aubergine dish is ‘bharwa baingan’ or stuffed aubergine,which I will try to make soon.Today’s recipe is famous in my hometown Kolkata.
I have used small white aubergine, but you can use any types of aubergine for this recipe.
- Aubergine: 11 to 12 small aubergine.If large aubergin , dice them in small size.
- Cumin seeds:One teaspoon.
- Coriander seeds : One and a half teaspoon.
- Kashmiri chili powder:one teaspoon.
- Turmeric: half teaspoon.
- Desiccated coconut or fresh: One tablespoon.
- Poppy seeds: One and a half tablespoon.
- Cashew nuts: 10 to 11
- Cloves: 6 to 7
- Ginger : 1 teaspoon grated.
- Salt to taste
- Oil to cook and fry the aubergine.
- Deseeded green chilies : 3 (optional).
- Dry roast coriander,cumin,cloves,cashew nuts,desiccated coconut and poppy seeds in low heat for few minutes,keep stirring them to prevent burning.
2. Now put the roasted spice mixture in a grinder , at this time add dry chili powder and turmeric powder .Grind everything together.
4. Now remove the aubergine from the heat and keep them aside.
5. In the same oil add one teaspoon cumin seeds and one tablespoon of grated ginger.Cook them until the raw flavour of ginger is gone.It takes 3 to 4 minutes in medium heat.
6. Add the ground spices , and stir it well.Afer 5 to 7 minutes you will see the oil comes out from the edge.
7. Add the fried aubergine.Mix them well .After 2 minutes add salt and water to cook them well (cover the lid). It will take around 20 minutes to cook .
8.When the aubergine is cooked add one table-spoon of sugar and mix them gently. If you like you can, put some deseeded green chilies for extra flavour at the end.Garnish with coriander leaves.Now it is ready to eat.This recipe goes really good with Indian flat bread and rice.