First wintry breeze forces me to create this aromatic rice soup recipe with good old lamb meatballs.When I say the temperature 10 degrees on my phone, I started feeling dreadfully cold instantly even though I was in a cozy situation. Lunch time has arrived.A perfect soup would be great to warm me enough.
I had few Thai cooking ingredients,so decide to use them to fragrant my rice soup.The main aromatic ingredients in this recipe are lemongrass stick, lemon leaves, zest of lemon and lime.Jasmine rice is another flavouring ingredient.When all these ingredients go in one dish , trust me they will make your day aromatic.
I also had some lamb mince meat to prepare the kebab recipe.I thought meatballs would go well with the rice soup.I have used some winter vegetables in this recipe, but you can use any vegetable of your choice.It’s totally up to you ,no rules at all for the soups.I have used olive oil but butter is a better option for an extra favour.
At first, I prepared the meatballs to cook.You will need
- Lamb minced meat / any minced meat : 500 grams (I have marinated extra meat for other preparation, you can use less amount).
- 1/2 chopped red onion.As fine as possible.
- Finely chopped garlic: 4 to 5 cloves.(skip it if you don’t fancy)
- Grated ginger : 1 table spoon.
- 2 table spoons of yogurt.
- Garam Masala powder or use any curry powder : 1 table spoon.
- Turmeric powder: 1 tea spoon. (If you are using curry powder you don’t have to use turmeric powder).
- Freshly grated nutmeg: half of a nutmeg.
- Lemon zest : around 1 table spoon.
- Black pepper powder.(Freshly ground).
- Salt to taste.
- Olive oil to saute.
Mix all the ingredients well.Don’t be afraid to use your hands.Use gloves if possible.Mix well and keep the meat dough in the fridge or in a cool place .By the time meat gulps all the flavours,cook the rice soup.
To make the rice soup
- Jasmine rice or any aromatic rice : half cup .(Enough for 2 people).
- Carrots : one large.
- Finely chopped shallots : one small or half of a big onion.
- Finely chopped mushrooms.
- Diced potatoes : one small.
- Fresh peas or frozen : half cup.
- Lemon and lime zest : two table spoons.
- Freshly ground black and white pepper : 1 table spoon.
- Salt to taste.
- Olive oil or butter.
- Heat the oil (1 table spoon) or butter in the pan.Add chopped onions.
2. Add half cup of rice and mix them well.
3. then add 4 cups of water, diced potatoes ,peas and salt.These two vegetables will take time to cook,so add them at the beginning of the cooking.You may need to add more water later .
4.Then goes lemongrass stick .Chop half of the lemon grass and keep half of the lemon grass long.(You can slice them and keep it long in size).Add them to the rice water with some thinly sliced lemon leaves.
5. Boil them untill the rice become mushy.It will take 30 minutes to 40 minutes for rice to become mushy.Keep checking them every after 5 minutes,cause water gets dry very easily.You can extra hot water if required.If you want your soup to be more soupy consistency then add extra water.I like my soup to be towards solid consistency, so I have used 5 cups of water.
Now time to cook the meatballs.
Heat some olive oil in the pan.Carefully slide the meatballs in.Cook them in low flame until they become brown in colour.
I have used meatballs, some fried diced potatoes, salad onion, zest of lime and ground black and white pepper.